Monday 23 August 2010

Interview Interschmiew

I can't recollect how many interviews I've had.  Actually wait, I can because I've hardly had any because life sucks.  I've had about 4.  4 interviews, 1 offer, 2 cancelled interviews and several epic agency applications. The rest of my job applicating experience has involved hundreds of rejection letters, calls and emails.  And those the ones who bothered to let me know at all......

Finally I sign up with an agency that seems promising.  They're keen to get me work as I have an interesting CV.  My clerking experience certainly gets me kudos but I've learnt to stop telling people I'm a writer.  I'm now pursuing a career in Office Management by working my way up.....blah blah blah.  I just want a job with a decent rate of pay.  Is that much to ask?  Unfortunatly so do the thousands of other graduates and now to add to this A Level students aren't getting their places at college and are now going to add to the list of unemployed people.  I can't stand this unemployed malarky.  Okay, so I do have a job to go on to now but it isn't ideal - it's a 'stop gap'. 

Last week I had an interview for what would be my ideal job.  I thought, 'yeah, this will be an awesome opportunity, even if it's only a fixed term contract' but still, it seemed great.  I spent hours on the application form and was over the moon to get an interview.  I went to a lot of trouble to photocopy all the necessary documentation I had to take along with me.  I put together my portfolio, dressed up in my smart suit and walked into the room bearing my most confident smile and posture. 

Faced with a panel of 3 people, 2 of which I'd never be working with, I answered a whole FIVE questions.  FIVE questions.  Wow.  What a way to tease out the best from a candidate huh?  I felt patronised if anything.  I just wanted to explain how I would be perfect the job, not list 5 things a good customer advisor needs to have to carry out good customer service.  That is high school stuff for goodness sake.  The interview was unfair in my opinion, I had gone to a lot of trouble to find out more about the organisation, remembered facts and figures, had examples of my previous experience all thought out etc.  There was an opportunity to sell myself at the end, which I did but come Friday morning I was tearing up the rejection letter.  What do these people want?  My blood?

So perhaps this part time job is the way forward.  At least I'll have the opportunity to prove myself.  Who knows, ongoing may turn into permenant and 15 may turn into 35 hours.  I hope so.  Otherwise I'm gonna have to claim housing benefit and I'm not altogether sure if I'm entitled.  I'm never entitled to anything like that. 

1 comment:

  1. I can really feel your frustration - I do sympathise: I know you're a great girl and would make a brilliant employee - given a "proper" interview in which to shine.

    Keep going, that job's gotta be there, somewhere x

    ReplyDelete