Thursday 13 May 2010

My Personal Library

I have a small collection of books that I haven't read. Now and then I've picked them up, bought them with the intention of reading them but it never happened. Why? Because I'm the slowest reader in the world and the books for my course were more important. I'm finally at that point of life that I was looking forward to. Finishing uni and being able to read what I like! This includes blogs too. I need to read more blogs and follow more blogs because I have been on here for 12 months and have 6 followers! My own fault. Anyway, back to the books. I have a lovely collection which my mum borrowed so they weren't gathering dust. So this is my reading list for the next few months (it will be months because I'm so slow):

Ash - Malinda Lo. A lovely 'crossover' novel which I picked up last week. Why? Because it sounds like a Cindrella story (my favourite story as a little girl) and the cover is adorable. Yes, I judge books by their covers. I'm a marketing department's dream come true!

a swift pure cry - Siobhan Down. Another 'crossover' which I thought I'd read but I don't think I finished it because I had to get through the Lancs book award short list instead. I can't remember so I'll have to read it again.

The Divide - Nicolas Evans. I loved reading his books before I came to uni. My favourite was the Horse Whisperer (don't let the film put you off reading this-it was completely different from the book), then The Loop and then The Smoke Jumpers. This one is a different kind of story to the others so it will be an interesting read.

Enduring Love - Ian McEwan. I've only read Atonement which I thought was beautifully written. I know this story is more contemporary. Unfortunately I've seen the film and I can't help but think adaptations can tarnish your reading of the book. We'll see what happens.

The Island - Victoria Hislop. This was mentioned on the TV Book Club last week. It is being made into a Greek television series. Apparently it's the biggest series the Greeks have made for television.

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher - Kate Summerscale. I'm looking forward to this one, a contemporary novel set in the Victorian era.

The Other Hand - Chris Cleaver. No idea what this one is about, mum bought this one. She said I'll probably enjoy it because it's about love and friendship or something along those lines. I think!

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro. This was recommended to me by one of the biggest book worms I know. Apparently it is simply amazing so we'll see if it was worth spending money on!

The Outcast - Sadie Jones. A love story set in the 50s but again written in the 21st Century. Mum didn't rave about this one but she said it was alright. What we have to remember is that my mum is a fan of the mystery genre so I have to make up my own mind really.

In the Presence of Horses - Barbara Dimmick & The Hearts of Horses - Molly Gloss: Mum said one of these focused too much on all things equestrian. I'm excited to read it because I'm a horsey person anyway, that and apart from the Horse Whisperer I haven't come across equestrian themed books (oh, and Jilly Cooper's Riders).

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold. Okay I admit it, I saw the film. I couldn't wait until I'd read the book. I have a feeling there is more to her murder than the film suggested. A tear jerker me thinks! Still, the film provided me a nice image of what the inbetween world looks like. I'm not sure how I could imagine a place like that in my mind.

Angels in my Hair - Lorna Byrne. This one is a 'true story' about an Irish woman who discovered she had psychic powers or something. My mum wants this back when I've finished with it so I'm assuming it was quite good (?).

The Woman In White - Wilkie Collins. This book was compared to with so many of the books I had read on my course that I'm extremely curious about it. I should have read it during my time at uni but you have no idea how time just seemed to escape from me and like I said before, I'm the slowest reader I know. I wish I could speed up but I think so much as I read!

So there we have it. Plenty to keep me busy. My boyfriend will be disappointed a horror isn't included. I'm sure it won't be long before he pushes one into my hand.

I'm 6 chapters into Ash and really enjoying it. So far it has been quite sad so I have to keep reading to make sure Ash finds herself in a happier place.

2 comments:

  1. go girl, go:) I loved all ten of those for the book award. Just finished The Olive Readers, Christine Aziz, not too impressed, the ending seemed to rushed to me, after the really thorough beginning. Also finished Fingersmith by Sarah Waters, my local book club read of the month, well over 500 pages, but a good historical romp:) Reading Tolkein's unfinished stories now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you're doing so much better than me. I've neglected my books yet again. Found myself applying for jobs late into the night when I should be reading! But I have a day off tomorrow so I'll finish my book and get started on the next.

    ReplyDelete