Monday 20 July 2009

The Time Traveller's Wife - After thoughts

Curiousity made me choose this novel. It was an international best seller. Film rights have been sold. Wow, it must be good. It made one of my friends cry. So I had to find out what all the fuss was about...

It has taken me a long time to finish this book, mostly because I wasn't really enjoying it. I would pick it up, read a little, put it down and forget about it for a week or two then pick it up again. The good thing is that because of the nature of the story (jumping back and forth in time)
it is okay to have a rest from reading it.

For me, the beginning was a little slow. Mum read it before me and she didn't like it at all. She warned me that the first few chapters/sections (its almost like a diary) would be slow. I'm still not entirely sure whether or not I think those first few sections were even needed.

The middle however, kept me turning the pages over. First of all there was the intriguing love story, thats what this novel is. Just another love story but written in a clever format. One of the lovers has a sort of illness...he time travels...and not through choice. It just happens. So because of this I kept turning the pages to see what happened next and to fill in the gaps that would be left. Some sections were so short you were perplexed and then another section will crop up that linked back to that short one. Its almost as though the author wrote the story in chronological order and then cut it up, mixed it about a little and put it together again.

Loose ends are tied up way before it finishes and I found myself skimming the last few pages/sections. I know, my bad but I just stopped feeling so curious once the main plot had come to a close. The rest seemed pointless. The end was a cliche but I won't disclose the details in case you're yet to read it.

But hey, thats just my opinion on it. You might think different.

I haven't really enjoyed the last few books I've read. English Literature has been a tough subject to study at Uni but its working. At long last I've used my brain and I obviously need a more stimulating read than a love story or chick lit novel. However, before I tackle more classics and the reccommended 'I am Legend' (I've promised my boyfriend I'll read this before watching the film), I've borrowed a friend's copy of Twilight. I know, its cheesy and meant for teenagers (but how many of you have read Harry Potter?) but once again curiousity killed the cat and I need to know what all the fuss is about!

No comments:

Post a Comment