Monday 17 May 2010

My childhood hero, Robin Hood has returned upon his white steed!

Having spent the first 11 years of my life in Nottinghamshire, the myth of Robin Hood became one of my favourite folktales. Every school trip that I can remember involved the Sherwood Forest, Robin Hood’s Bay, visits to where Nottingham Castle once stood and going underground into the caves. I remember the attraction, The Tales of Robin Hood on Maid Marion Way (unfortunately this has closed down now) and it makes me smile when I see city roads named after the characters from the story.

I have watched many film adaptations about my favourite legend so when the latest hit our big screens at the weekend I was in a hurry to see it. I have to say, this particular film put a little fire in my belly. My childhood hero is back and made more real than ever before. I loved the light heartedness of the previous 1991 version but it was cheesy. Russell Crowe’s own interpretation of Robin is a remarkable one in my opinion and the white horse he rides adds to the heroic theme.

The legend is over 700 years old, going as far back as the 13th Century. Robin Hood did not really exist but for those who needed a hero, someone like Robin would have been a symbol to look to in times of crisis. Iterations of Robin Hood reappeared during periods of political tumult and one can’t help but smile at the timing of this new film’s release! Robin Hood gave the poor a spirit of hope.

For those who don’t know much about the legend, this new film is about how the legend came about, should Robin have existed and I strongly recommend you go and see this film for yourself:



http://www.robinhoodthemovie.co.uk/share.html

No comments:

Post a Comment